Jorge Cortés, Head Chef at Palacio de Villapanés shares with us its recipe of the traditional Iberian pork cheek, a native dish from the southwest of the Iberian Peninsula. The perfect recipe to impress during quarantine!
Ingredients (for 2 people):
300 gr of Iberian cheeks
60 ml olive oil
30 ml of amontillado (Amontillado is a pale dry sherry wine made in Montilla, a town in southern Spain), any other dry sherry wine you have will be appropriate
30 ml of red wine
100 gr of onion
60 gr of green pepper
60 gr of red pepper
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 lt of water
1. Clean the meat leaving the surplus membranes all around and season it with salt and pepper.
2. Cut the garlic
3. Cut all the vegetables mentioned in the ingredients list
4. Add the oil and heat it
5. Fry the garlic, then the onion
6. Once fried, we add the rest of vegetables until they are cooked
7. Then we add the cheeks, and we braise.
8. Add the species and the wines
9. We cover with water and we leave it on low heat for 2 and a half hours until it becomes tender.
10. Once you reach the good tenderness, we put apart the cheeks and we blend the surplus of juice
11. Serve it!